SG’s Winter Beef Stew
We could eat stew all year long, but there is nothing like simmering a hearty batch on a three dog night during the winter. It’s hard to go wrong stewing beef and veggies together for a few hours, but this recipe definitely stands out among those we’ve tried in the past. After searing the flour-dredged beef and adding beer, you’ll be delighted with stew packed full of flavor. Yes, it requires a bit of prep, but our trusty SG Signature Set will make quick work of all these ingredients!
3 TBSP Olive Oil
2 LB Bottom Round Roast (Cut into 1″ cubes using 10″ SG steak knife)
1 1/4 Cup Flour
1 TSP Paprika
1 Med. White Onion (Diced-8″ SG chef knife)
4 Cloves Garlic (Minced-8″ SG chef knife)
12 OZ Beer (Lager)
3 1/2 Cups Beef Broth
2 TBSP Tomato Paste
1 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
2 TSP Sugar
4 Large Carrots (Sliced-8″ SG chef knife)
8 Red Potatoes (Quartered-8″ SG chef knife)
Salt & Pepper
1) Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. While oil is heating, mix flour (1 cup), paprika and salt & pepper. Dredge beef in flour mixture and shake off excess. Once oil is heated, brown cubes of beef on all sides and remove to paper towel lined plate.
2) Add onion to the dutch oven and cook on medium until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant (about two minutes).
3) Pour in the beer, broth, tomato paste, sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
4) Return your seared beef to the dutch oven and simmer for two hours.
5) Add potatoes and carrots and simmer for 40 minutes until they are fork tender.
6) Ladle 1 cup of liquid from the dutch oven into a bowl and whisk in remaining 1/4 cup flour. Once mixture has thickened, return to pot and cook for a final 10 minutes.